Saturday 9 March 2013

Dear Mum.....

To celebrate Mother's Day Voutique and Candypout have asked bloggers to create a heart-felt post celebrating their Mum and revealing what special vintage items they have inherited. 

Hence I’ve decided to dedicate a little post to my mum as a huge thank you for all she’s done for me over the past few years (and I’ve sent a few little things for you in the post too Mum!!!).

My mother is without a doubt my greatest inspiration, best friend, and constant advisor. Without whom I would never have achieved half the amazing things I've managed to achieve and overcome so far in my life.



University (twice), living abroad, break-ups, proms, illness, travelling etc. you've helped me through it all and for that I am eternally grateful.




Unfortunately I wasn't one of those children who snook into their mother's wardrobe, stealing shoes, lipstick and clothes. Instead, I was apparently renowned for preferring to don my 'birthday suit' - sorry Mum!!! However I have been lucky enough to receive some lovely vintage trinkets and fashion advice from my mother over the years. 


My most prized vintage piece that I have inherited from my Mum is this beautiful Venetian mirror:


Bought by my Great-Grandmother in Venice, this mirror echoes family history, travel and beauty. Whenever I use it to get ready it always inspires me to look fabulous. And the fact that three generations of my family have used it, means it definitely holds a special place on my dressing table. 



Mum’s Quote: A brooch or scarf can dress up the most boring of outfits’




My mother LOVES her brooches – and I have definitely been known to steal them (previously for my dolls, and now) to add a bit of sparkle to my look. Be it on a scarf, coat or cardigan my mother will rarely leave the house without a little bit of glitz. A tip that I've most definitely stolen. 

Though the greatest gift that my mother and I still share has to be our <3 of books.

 
Since she was little, every Christmas my grandmother would always buy my mum a Rupert Annual. A tradition that was kindly passed down to me, and a collection to which I have continued to add. I LOVE my Rupert Books far too much and they’re definitely the highlight of my Christmas morning. Even now we still root through vintage stores together trying to pick up old annuals. 





Mum (if you're reading this) I'm sorry I can't be home for Mother's Day this year, but know that I'm missing you terribly. You've been my rock (especially over the past year) and I hope that this post goes a little way to showing how incredibly grateful I am each day for knowing you and being your daughter. 


Thank you for being the most amazing, beautiful, wonderful mother I could have ever asked for. But most of all thank you for making me, me. 



Love you millions Mum

Happy Mother's Day!!!

xoxo


No comments:

Post a Comment